Friday, December 9, 2011

Talking with heating service companies

I call a nearby heating supply/service company to ask if they sell heating system parts. I explain that I need a supply plenum for my gas furnace and he says they make them there. Then he's all:

"And are you going to install this yourself?"

The emphasis on the yourself was priceless. I could almost feel his eyebrows raising through the phone.

I love being talked to like I'm clueless. And (this was later) it's always professional to call someone "lady" over the phone when you're in a business conversation. /sarcasm

Luckily the guy wasn't all bad, and explained that plenums are manufactured and that he needed dimensions for it. And now it makes sense why we couldn't find them at Lowe's. Whoops. And the guy referred me to another heating parts maker/retailer that was closer to me, which was nice of him.

Unfortunately, when I called the place he referred me to, I was told that they don't sell parts; they only do installations and repairs. I asked if I could send them an email but I didn't get to finish my sentence because the woman interrupts me with, "WE DON'T SELL PARTS, MA'AM."

*blink*

What I was going to say was, hey, can I send you an email explaining the situation and ask how much it'd be for you to install the parts we need? But, you know, no need to let me finish. I couldn't have been asking about how to use your services. You wouldn't want my money, right?

After that awkward moment, she tells me how much it'd cost for them to send someone to our house to look at our setup and give us a quote. I told her to have a nice day and I sincerely meant it since anyone with a stick up their butt needs a nice day once in a while.

So now I'm off to read more about heat ducting design. Wheeee...

No comments:

Post a Comment