Saturday, December 3, 2011

Post-Tipsygiving

Well, it's been a little over a week since Tipsygiving, which really wasn't that tipsy after about noon, and I've got a couple pictures for you.

Here is the turkey with my hand in it, because that turkey rub needed to get on the actual meat, not just on the skin:


And here's the glorious bird before it went into the oven:


Note the tucked-under wings! I struggled to get them under the bird, but the effort was worthwhile; the wings didn't dry out like they usually do. I think we let the thing cook for about five hours, which might seem excessive, but it didn't come with one of the meat thermometers, and I sure don't know where ours are. I mean, I know they're on the property somewhere, but we haven't found them yet.

The turkey turned out pretty well. The flavors really got into the flesh, which surprised me. It's the first time I've put a rub on a turkey before, and now I'm motivated to do it again next year.

The turkey giblets were awesome this year. I think we got more meat from them than usual, so the stuffing was even more loaded with little giblet bits. Mmm...and that heart was delicious. Ike was sweet and let me have most of it. I feel so barbaric eating it, but it's so yummy.

Our other side dishes were mashed potatoes, steamed green beans (!!!), a yam and oatmeal bake, and cranberry sauce, as you saw earlier. There's still a lot of the turkey and some cranberry sauce left, but everything else is gone. Overall, the dinner was a success and I'm glad we tried a couple new things this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment