Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Tzatziki

Tzatziki is a thick, yogurt-based dip that pairs well with pita bread or vegetables. It's creamy, cool, and hearty, and it's a tasty way to include some yogurt in your diet (protein + probiotics!).

There are a ton of recipes available, and they all have some basic ingredients in common: Greek yogurt, cucumber, garlic, and dill. Then there is a group of folks who add lemon juice to the tzatziki, and a second group of folks who add vinegar instead. Some recipes even call for some of both. I used fresh lemon juice (about half of the lemon) and I liked the flavor. My first batch of tzatziki turned out well, except for one thing: I added too much garlic. I can't remember the last time I added too much garlic to a dish, but I really knocked it out of the park with this stuff. I think it's because I'm used to adding fresh garlic to dishes that will be sauteed/cooked, and I forgot how much kick uncooked garlic has. Kapow! So I'd recommend two small cloves or even just one medium sized clove per one cup of yogurt in your tzatziki recipe.

I didn't use a specific recipe to make tzatziki. I read four or five recipes, drew some conclusions, and filled in the gaps with intuition. All of the recipes I used were for a chunky tzatziki, meaning the cucumbers were chopped/diced by hand, not pureed in a food processor. The volume of yogurt and chopped cucumbers should be about the same. Here's what I used to make my batch:

Just over 1 cup Greek yogurt
Just over 1 cup diced cucumber (peeled, seeded, diced, then measured)
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 small garlic cloves, minced (I used more and regretted it! I recommend mixing in one minced clove; you can always add more!)
3/4 tsp dried dill (from a spice jar; all the recipes call for fresh dill and I don't have any)
Dash of salt

Also, since the yogurt "leaks" water and the cucumbers have a lot of water in them, tzatziki gets a little watery if you don't prepare for it. I poured off all the water in the yogurt container before scooping out the yogurt. After dicing the cucumber, I wrapped the diced pieces in paper towels to let the excess moisture soak out while I prepped other stuff. The next day, the tzatziki had leaked a little water but was still pretty thick. This recipe made 4-6 good-sized servings. It wasn't enough for a huge party bowl but it's plenty for a small gathering, or in my case, snacks for a few days. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment